Research & Analysis for Business
and Investment Clients
Key Inflation Drivers
Consumer Price Index (CPU-I) Graphic - 2017
The top five drivers are (1) Housing 43%, (2) Transportation 15%, (3) Food 14%, (4) Medical Care 8%, and (5) Recreation 6%. Combined, the top five categories represent 86% of the prices in the consumer price index (CPI-U). The remaining 14% includes communications (internet service, cellular phones), education, apparel, personal care, beverages, and smoking products (including tobacco).